Pre-course Reading (what we encourage you to read to get the most out of the course):
Pre-course Preparation (things you should do before attending the course – especially the module on Early Trauma Care, which will provide context to much of the course):
Go to the website (http://trauma.reach.vic.gov.au/) and use the questions below to focus your reading
- Select the Victorian State Trauma System (VSTS) icon and go through each of the links to find the answer to the following question:
- What are the five operational definitions of major trauma in the Victorian System?
- Select the Early Trauma Care icon and go through each of the links to find the answers to the following questions:
- What is the purpose of the primary survey?
- What is the main goal of fluid replacement in major trauma?
- Name the components that make up the primary survey.
- Name one intervention to be carried out for each the components of the primary survey if required and before moving to the next
- Select the Teamwork and Communication icon and and go through each of the links to find the answers to the following questions:
- What are the attributes of a good trauma team leader?
- What are the attributes of a good trauma team member?
- Think of good and bad emergency or trauma experiences you have had and think about what team factors made it go more smoothly and what were some of the barriers to good team performance?
- Select the Obstetric Trauma icon (also see https://www.health.qld.gov.au/qcg/documents/g-trauma.pdf) and go through each of the links to find the answers to the following questions:
- Describe the normal physiological changes of pregnancy that affect the clinical assessment and management of obstetric trauma patients.
- Obstetric trauma patients require careful positioning to reduce the impact of aortocaval compression. Describe the correct positions for obstetric trauma patient
- Complete the following sentence, In obstetric trauma the best fetal outcomes are the result of early
- Select the Paediatric Trauma icon and go through each of the links to find the answers to the following questions:
- True or false. The initial assessment of a seriously injured child should follow the same structured approach as that of adult assessment?
- What are the two most preventable causes of death in paediatric patients?
- Complete the following sentence. The family of the child with a significant trauma requires